English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Education will be the single biggest transformative factor in catapulting India into the league of developed nations, says President
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Home Affairs
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
Ministry of Power23-February, 2009 16:24 IST
|V.S. Verma takes over as Member, CERC|
|Union Minister for Power, Shri Sushilkumar Shinde administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to Shri V.S. Verma as Member, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, CERC in New Delhi today.
Shri V.S. Verma was born on 2.1.1950. He holds BSc., BE(Mech) and ME(Mech) Degrees and is an FIE. He has over 35 years of experience in the power sector and worked in CEA in various capacities, the last being Member, CEA. He also worked as Director General, BEE for a short period.
CERC had been established by the Government of India under the provisions of the Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1988 and is deemed to be constituted under the corresponding provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003. The ERC Act, 1988 has been repealed by the enactment of the Electricity Act. The Commission consists of a Chairperson and four other Members including Chairperson, Central Electricity Authority who is the ex-officio Member of the Commission.
Major functions of CERC under the Act are, inter-alia, to regulate the tariff of generating companies owned or controlled by the Central Government, to regulate the tariff of other generating companies having a composite scheme for generation and sale of electricity in more than one State, to regulate the Inter-State transmission of electricity and to determine tariff for such transmission of electricity, etc. Under the Act, CERC shall also advise the Central Government on formulation of National Electricity Policy and Tariff Policy; promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of electricity industry; promotion of investment in electricity industry; and any other matter referred to the Central Commission by the Government.
(Photograph is available on www.pib.nic.in)
(Release ID :47807)