English Release 22-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President’s Diwali greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets People on Deepawali
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM's 2nd "Mann Ki Baat" programme on 2nd November
- PM shares the link of his page for Diwali wishes
- Min of Culture
- Former Chief Election Commissioner, Shri N Gopalaswami appointed as Chairman of Kalakshetra Foundation Chennai
- Min of Defence
- Update on Su-30 Accident
- Min of Human Resource Development
- Ministry of Human Resource Development Launches All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) 2014-15
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Government to commemorate Sardar Patel’s birthday on October 31 as ‘Rashtriya Ekta Divas’.
- Min of Micro,Small & Medium Enterprises
- The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises gets ISO 9001: 2008 Certificate
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 83.73 per bbl on 21.10.2014
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- India won 3 Medals at 2nd Asian Para Games 2014 on 21st October, 2014
Ministry of Power23-February, 2009 16:24 IST
|V.S. Verma takes over as Member, CERC|
|Union Minister for Power, Shri Sushilkumar Shinde administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to Shri V.S. Verma as Member, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, CERC in New Delhi today.
Shri V.S. Verma was born on 2.1.1950. He holds BSc., BE(Mech) and ME(Mech) Degrees and is an FIE. He has over 35 years of experience in the power sector and worked in CEA in various capacities, the last being Member, CEA. He also worked as Director General, BEE for a short period.
CERC had been established by the Government of India under the provisions of the Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1988 and is deemed to be constituted under the corresponding provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003. The ERC Act, 1988 has been repealed by the enactment of the Electricity Act. The Commission consists of a Chairperson and four other Members including Chairperson, Central Electricity Authority who is the ex-officio Member of the Commission.
Major functions of CERC under the Act are, inter-alia, to regulate the tariff of generating companies owned or controlled by the Central Government, to regulate the tariff of other generating companies having a composite scheme for generation and sale of electricity in more than one State, to regulate the Inter-State transmission of electricity and to determine tariff for such transmission of electricity, etc. Under the Act, CERC shall also advise the Central Government on formulation of National Electricity Policy and Tariff Policy; promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of electricity industry; promotion of investment in electricity industry; and any other matter referred to the Central Commission by the Government.
(Photograph is available on www.pib.nic.in)
(Release ID :47807)