English Release 29-July 2014
- President's Secretariat
- PRESIDENT CONGRATULATES MEDAL WINNERS IN
- President of India’s greetings on Idu’l Fitr
- Prime Minister's Office
- CEO, Mitsubishi Corporation, calls on PM
- PM addresses scientists at 86th ICAR Foundation Day
- PM greets Vice President on Eid-ul-Fitr
- PM greets people on Eid-ul-Fitr
- Min of Agriculture
- Prime Minister give Mantras of "Kam Zameen, Kam Samay, Zyaada Upaj","Per Drop, more Crop", and "Lab to Land"
- Min of Urban Development
- New urban development initiatives to address shortcomings of JNNURM
- Min of Youth Affairs & Sports
- Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports, Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian medal winners on the 5th day in commonwealth Games 2014
Ministry of Power23-February, 2009 16:24 IST
|V.S. Verma takes over as Member, CERC|
|Union Minister for Power, Shri Sushilkumar Shinde administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to Shri V.S. Verma as Member, Central Electricity Regulatory Commission, CERC in New Delhi today.
Shri V.S. Verma was born on 2.1.1950. He holds BSc., BE(Mech) and ME(Mech) Degrees and is an FIE. He has over 35 years of experience in the power sector and worked in CEA in various capacities, the last being Member, CEA. He also worked as Director General, BEE for a short period.
CERC had been established by the Government of India under the provisions of the Electricity Regulatory Commissions Act, 1988 and is deemed to be constituted under the corresponding provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003. The ERC Act, 1988 has been repealed by the enactment of the Electricity Act. The Commission consists of a Chairperson and four other Members including Chairperson, Central Electricity Authority who is the ex-officio Member of the Commission.
Major functions of CERC under the Act are, inter-alia, to regulate the tariff of generating companies owned or controlled by the Central Government, to regulate the tariff of other generating companies having a composite scheme for generation and sale of electricity in more than one State, to regulate the Inter-State transmission of electricity and to determine tariff for such transmission of electricity, etc. Under the Act, CERC shall also advise the Central Government on formulation of National Electricity Policy and Tariff Policy; promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of electricity industry; promotion of investment in electricity industry; and any other matter referred to the Central Commission by the Government.
(Photograph is available on www.pib.nic.in)
(Release ID :47807)