English Release 22-September 2014
- President's Secretariat
- President of India presented prizes and trophies to the winners of Rashtrapati Bhavan Football Tournament
- Writers and Artists ‘In-Residence’ call on the President
- President of India’s message on the eve of National Day of Saudi Arabia
- Prime Minister's Office
- Punjab CM calls on PM
- Election Commission
- General Election to Legislative Assemblies of Haryana & Maharashtra 2014 - Allotment of Broadcast/Telecast time to Political Parties – regarding
- Min of Agriculture
- Kharif Sowing Crosses 1015 Lakh Hectare Mark
- Min of Defence
- IAF Celbrates Commemoration of 50 Years as Part of
1965 Indo-Pak War
- BRO Annual Chief Engineers’ Conference 2014 : A Curtain Raiser
- Ministry of Finance
No Need to Open Another Bank Account to Avail of Benefits Under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY);
- Auction for Sale (Re-Issue) of Government Stocks
- Text of the Intervention Made by the Minister of State of Finance in the G20 Finance Minister’s Meeting on International Tax; Calls for Implementation of the New Global Standards on Automatic Exchange of Information with A Common Timeline and with Coverage of as Many Countries as Possible
- Min of Food Processing Industries
- New Initiatives/ Developments of Ministry of Food Processing Industries
- Min of Home Affairs
- Security is the first and foremost requirement for development; says Union Home Minister
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.35 per bbl on 19.09.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Indira Gandhi Rajbhasha Award to Ministry of Railways
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- Sonowal Inaugurates National Academy for Athletics and National Golf Academy at Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Minister of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs & Sports Sarbananda Sonowal congratulates Indian Medal Winners at Asian Games 2014
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Beki Flowing above Danger Mark in Assam
- Min of Women and Child Development
- A Two-Day Consultation by M/o Women & Child Development on National Nutrition Mission begins in New Delhi
Ministry of Earth Science27-July, 2009 17:19 IST
|Dr. George Joseph honoured wtih National Award for Ocean Science & Technology|
|Dr. George Joseph has been honoured with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009 to mark the Earth Sciences Ministry’s Foundation Day today.
The former Director, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad and presently Director of Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific, Dehradun, affiliated to the United Nations, Dr. Joseph was born in Chenganoor, Kerala on 4th August 1938. From 1962 to 1973 at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, he was involved in the study of cosmic rays using balloon borne detectors. A novel detector system designed by him was flown on the first Indian Satellite ARYABHATA to detect solar neutrons.
Since 1973, at Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, Dr. Joseph was instrumental in developing a variety of electro-optical sensors for earth observations which were first of its kind in India.
Dr. George Joseph has established an electro-optical laboratory, which is comparable to the best in the world with capability to design, manufacture and test a variety of complex optical systems and sensors of state-of-the art. These developmental efforts lead to the realization of India’s first OCEANSAT. He is rightfully considered the pioneer of satellite based imaging sensors in the country.
In recognition of his lifetime contributions towards development of onboard sensors in Indian Remote Sensing Satellite system, Dr. Joseph was conferred the Bhaskara Award in 1997and he has been honoured in 1999 by the Government of India’s civilian award – Padma Bhusan.
In recognition of outstanding contributions to Ocean Sciences, Ministry of Earth Sciences honours Dr. George Joseph with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009.
(Release ID :51050)