English Release 25-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Speech by the President of India
Shri Pranab Mukherjee on the Occasion of Release of a Commemorative Postage Stamp on
- President of India Releases a Commemorative Postage Stamp on Anagarika Dharmapala
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi’s address at the ceremony held to rededicate, Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre, in Mumbai
- PM rededicates Sir H.N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre in Mumbai
- PM greets the Nation on auspicious occasion of Bhai Dooj
- Election Commission
- Press Note
- Schedule for bye-election to fill casual vacancies in the Legislative Assembly of NCT of Delhi – Regarding.
- Schedule for General Elections to the Legislative Assemblies of Jharkhand and Jammu & Kashmir.
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Minister for Communications & IT and Law & Justice, Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad Spoke at the Release Function of a Postage Stamp Commemorating Srimath Anagarika Dharmapala, the Great Buddhist Thinker and Visionary from Sri Lanka
- Ministry of Finance
- President of India
to Inaugurate Three Day Accountants’ General Conference on Monday
- Min of Home Affairs
- Observance of the Rashtriya Ekta Diwas on 31st October
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Dr. Jitendra Singh says Indian bureaucrats need constant re-orientation as they face new challenges every day
Ministry of Earth Science27-July, 2009 17:19 IST
|Dr. George Joseph honoured wtih National Award for Ocean Science & Technology|
|Dr. George Joseph has been honoured with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009 to mark the Earth Sciences Ministry’s Foundation Day today.
The former Director, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad and presently Director of Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific, Dehradun, affiliated to the United Nations, Dr. Joseph was born in Chenganoor, Kerala on 4th August 1938. From 1962 to 1973 at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, he was involved in the study of cosmic rays using balloon borne detectors. A novel detector system designed by him was flown on the first Indian Satellite ARYABHATA to detect solar neutrons.
Since 1973, at Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, Dr. Joseph was instrumental in developing a variety of electro-optical sensors for earth observations which were first of its kind in India.
Dr. George Joseph has established an electro-optical laboratory, which is comparable to the best in the world with capability to design, manufacture and test a variety of complex optical systems and sensors of state-of-the art. These developmental efforts lead to the realization of India’s first OCEANSAT. He is rightfully considered the pioneer of satellite based imaging sensors in the country.
In recognition of his lifetime contributions towards development of onboard sensors in Indian Remote Sensing Satellite system, Dr. Joseph was conferred the Bhaskara Award in 1997and he has been honoured in 1999 by the Government of India’s civilian award – Padma Bhusan.
In recognition of outstanding contributions to Ocean Sciences, Ministry of Earth Sciences honours Dr. George Joseph with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009.
(Release ID :51050)