English Release 1-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Message to the Nation from the President on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti
- President Expresses condolences over loss of lives due to collision of trains near Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
- President’s Durga Puja Greetings
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Confers ‘Sir Ross Masood Lifetime Achievement Award for Excellence in Leadership, Education, Community & Public Service-2014’ to Shri Saiyid Hamid
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM expresses condolences over loss of lives due to collision of trains near Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh
- Text of Remarks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi
at the Joint Press Briefing with President Barack Obama
- English Rendering of Remarks by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Joint Press Briefing with President Barack Obama
- Joint Statement during the visit of Prime Minister to USA
- Min of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution
- Ram Villas Paswan undertakes surprise checks to see cleanliness in his Ministry
- Min of Defence
- Air Marshal Jajgeet Singh takes over as
Air Officer-in-Charge maintenance at Air Headquarters
- 24th Edition of Ind-Indo Corpat Concludes
- Ministry of Finance
- Repayment of 7.56% Government Stock 2014 and 11.83% Government Stock 2014 on November 03, 2014 and November 12, 2014 Respectively
- Min of New and Renewable Energy
MOU Signed for First Ever Offshore Wind Power Project in India
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Early closure of some Government Offices today
- The President of India authorises Shri Rajiv as Central Vigilance Commissioner
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Daily Crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 95.34/bbl on 30.09.2014
- Ministry of Railways
- Railway Minister Expresses Profound Grief Over the Loss of Innocent Train Accident Near Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh
- Min of Skill Development, Entrepreneurship, Youth Affairs and Sports
- ‘Punarjagaran’- Mass Awakening Campaign for youth to be launched on 2nd October, 2014
- India’s Performance on Day 12 of Asian Games 2014
Ministry of Earth Science27-July, 2009 17:19 IST
|Dr. George Joseph honoured wtih National Award for Ocean Science & Technology|
|Dr. George Joseph has been honoured with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009 to mark the Earth Sciences Ministry’s Foundation Day today.
The former Director, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad and presently Director of Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific, Dehradun, affiliated to the United Nations, Dr. Joseph was born in Chenganoor, Kerala on 4th August 1938. From 1962 to 1973 at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, he was involved in the study of cosmic rays using balloon borne detectors. A novel detector system designed by him was flown on the first Indian Satellite ARYABHATA to detect solar neutrons.
Since 1973, at Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, Dr. Joseph was instrumental in developing a variety of electro-optical sensors for earth observations which were first of its kind in India.
Dr. George Joseph has established an electro-optical laboratory, which is comparable to the best in the world with capability to design, manufacture and test a variety of complex optical systems and sensors of state-of-the art. These developmental efforts lead to the realization of India’s first OCEANSAT. He is rightfully considered the pioneer of satellite based imaging sensors in the country.
In recognition of his lifetime contributions towards development of onboard sensors in Indian Remote Sensing Satellite system, Dr. Joseph was conferred the Bhaskara Award in 1997and he has been honoured in 1999 by the Government of India’s civilian award – Padma Bhusan.
In recognition of outstanding contributions to Ocean Sciences, Ministry of Earth Sciences honours Dr. George Joseph with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009.
(Release ID :51050)