English Release 2-September 2014
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Inaugurates 89th Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- PM inaugurates Vivekananda Cultural Centre at Indian Embassy in Tokyo
- PM’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
- PM's keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- PM's keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- PM’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- PM's special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- Min of Agriculture
- Government puts Agriculture Sector on Fast Track
- Min of Defence
- Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Abhiraj Commissioned at Tuticorin
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Initiatives of the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change
- Ministry of Finance
- A High Level Committee Constituted for Considering the Proposals for Assessment of Income arising or accruing before 1st April, 2012 on Account of Retrospective Amendments to the Provisions Related to Indirect Transfer
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Revised strategy for Kala Azar eradication launched
- Min of Home Affairs
- MHA Asks Manipur Govt to Take Preventive Steps in view of UNC Blockade
- Union Home Minister asks Kerala CM to take Strict action against Political Killings
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- I&B Ministry initiatives to enhance Outreach and information dissemination through multiple platforms
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Petroleum Minister emphasizes on adopting energy efficient techniques for better development of the nation
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 101.29 per bbl on 01.09.2014
- Min of Power
- Landmark Initiatives for Energy Efficiency Launched
- Min of Rural Development
- Sweeping changes made in MGNREGA by Nitin Gadkari
- Min of Science & Technology
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) Releases the Annual Report for the Year 2013-14
- MoU Signed between National Cancer Institute, AIIMS, Jhajjar Campus and DBT, GOI
- Dr Jitendra Singh Announces DBT Collaboration in Establishing A “National Cancer Institute” at Jhajjar, Haryana.
- Min of Tribal Affairs
- “Single Window System” for Obtaining Market Information on Minor Forest Produces Through Toll Free Number 1800 180 1551
Ministry of Earth Science27-July, 2009 17:19 IST
|Dr. George Joseph honoured wtih National Award for Ocean Science & Technology|
|Dr. George Joseph has been honoured with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009 to mark the Earth Sciences Ministry’s Foundation Day today.
The former Director, Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad and presently Director of Centre for Space Science and Technology Education in Asia and the Pacific, Dehradun, affiliated to the United Nations, Dr. Joseph was born in Chenganoor, Kerala on 4th August 1938. From 1962 to 1973 at the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, he was involved in the study of cosmic rays using balloon borne detectors. A novel detector system designed by him was flown on the first Indian Satellite ARYABHATA to detect solar neutrons.
Since 1973, at Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad, Dr. Joseph was instrumental in developing a variety of electro-optical sensors for earth observations which were first of its kind in India.
Dr. George Joseph has established an electro-optical laboratory, which is comparable to the best in the world with capability to design, manufacture and test a variety of complex optical systems and sensors of state-of-the art. These developmental efforts lead to the realization of India’s first OCEANSAT. He is rightfully considered the pioneer of satellite based imaging sensors in the country.
In recognition of his lifetime contributions towards development of onboard sensors in Indian Remote Sensing Satellite system, Dr. Joseph was conferred the Bhaskara Award in 1997and he has been honoured in 1999 by the Government of India’s civilian award – Padma Bhusan.
In recognition of outstanding contributions to Ocean Sciences, Ministry of Earth Sciences honours Dr. George Joseph with National Award in Ocean Sciences for the year 2009.
(Release ID :51050)