English Release 31-October 2014
- President's Secretariat
- Education will be the single biggest transformative factor in catapulting India into the league of developed nations, says President
- President of India congratulates Pankaj Advani on achieving 12th world title in Leeds
- President pays floral tributes to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of PM’s address at 'Run For Unity' at Rajpath on the occasion of Rashtriya Ekta Diwas
- PM receives personal belongings of Sardar Patel, on his 139th birth anniversary
- Sidelights – Run For Unity Event at Rajpath, New Delhi
- PM flags off, joins Run For Unity on Sardar Patel Jayanti
- PM remembers Smt. Indira Gandhi on her Punya Tithi
- PM pays tributes to Sardar Patel on his birth anniversary
- Min of Commerce & Industry
- Department of Commerce calls for creative participation for India’s participation at Hannover Messe
- Min of Home Affairs
- Home Secretary Administers Rashtriya Ekta Diwas Pledge
- “Police Stations should become Temples of Justice,” says Rajnath Singh
- Min of Parliamentary Affairs
- Standing Committee on Railways invites suggestions on Railways(Amendment) Bill, 2014
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandants) Examination, 2014 Declaration of Result of Written Part
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 84.77 per bbl on 30.10.2014
- Ministry of Water Resources
- Storage Status of 85 Important Reservoirs of the Country as on October 30, 2014
Ministry of Environment and Forests18-October, 2009 18:53 IST
|Eighth meeting of SAARC Environment Ministers begins tomorrow in Delhi
NATURAL DISASTER RAPID RESPONSE MECHANISM & SOUTH ASIA ENVIRONMENT OUTLOOK TO BE CONSIDERED
| The eighth meeting of the SAARC Environment Ministers begins here tomorrow. It will consider the Report of the Expert Group Meeting and the draft Agreement on the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism. The meeting is also expected to launch the South Asia Environment Outlook (SAEO) 2009 and will consider the modalities for a Regional Environment Treaty.
The member states earlier provided an update on the preparation of National Plans of Action for implementation of Disaster management and Disaster Prevention. On this basis, a comprehensive framework on Disaster Management in South Asia : A Framework for Action 2006-2015 has been prepared.
A decision to formulate this framework was taken earlier at the senior officials meetings held at Dhaka on 23 may, 2006 prior to SAARC environment ministers conference there.. All the member states earlier requested to provide their comments and views to incorporate in the Concept paper.
The meeting is likely to consider various areas of cooperation in the light of current development in the context of the environment in this region. They include Afforestation, Environment Management and Planning, Air quality management and water quality, Sustainable Habitats and Waste management, Land Degradation including Desertification, management of Coastal Areas, River Cleaning programme, Sustainable Livelihoods, and Eco-friendly Technology Development and Transfer Institutions-Capacity Building and Strengthening.
Earlier the fourteenth SAARC Summit which met at New Delhi in April, 2007, reiterated deep concern at the continued degradation of environment and reaffirmed the need to further strengthen cooperation towards protection and conservation of the environment as a priority area. It also strongly appeal to collaborate in addressing the problem of arsenic contamination of ground water, desertification and melting of glaciers.
Two presentations will be made during the senior officials meeting preceding the meeting of the SAARC Environment ministers tomorrow. The first is on the progress related to the development of the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism by Director, SAARC Disaster Management Centre, New Delhi and the second presentation is on SAARC Meteorological Research Center, Dhaka on Severe Thunderstorms Observatories and Regional modeling Programme (STORM).
(Release ID :53249)