English Release 2-September 2014
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Inaugurates 89th Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration in Mussoorie
- Prime Minister's Office
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- PM inaugurates Vivekananda Cultural Centre at Indian Embassy in Tokyo
- PM’s remarks at the Indian Community Reception in Tokyo
- PM's keynote address at welcome reception hosted by Japan-India Association and Japan-India Parliamentary Friendship League
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- PM's keynote address at event organized by Nikkei Inc. and Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO)
- Text of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- PM’s remarks after inaugurating the TCS Japan Technology and Culture Academy
- PM's special lecture at the University of the Sacred Heart, Tokyo
- Min of Agriculture
- Government puts Agriculture Sector on Fast Track
- Min of Defence
- Fast Patrol Vessel ICGS Abhiraj Commissioned at Tuticorin
- Min of Environment and Forests
- Initiatives of the Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change
- Ministry of Finance
- A High Level Committee Constituted for Considering the Proposals for Assessment of Income arising or accruing before 1st April, 2012 on Account of Retrospective Amendments to the Provisions Related to Indirect Transfer
- Min of Health and Family Welfare
- Revised strategy for Kala Azar eradication launched
- Min of Home Affairs
- MHA Asks Manipur Govt to Take Preventive Steps in view of UNC Blockade
- Union Home Minister asks Kerala CM to take Strict action against Political Killings
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- I&B Ministry initiatives to enhance Outreach and information dissemination through multiple platforms
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Petroleum Minister emphasizes on adopting energy efficient techniques for better development of the nation
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket was US$ 101.29 per bbl on 01.09.2014
- Min of Power
- Landmark Initiatives for Energy Efficiency Launched
- Min of Rural Development
- Sweeping changes made in MGNREGA by Nitin Gadkari
- Min of Science & Technology
- Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) Releases the Annual Report for the Year 2013-14
- MoU Signed between National Cancer Institute, AIIMS, Jhajjar Campus and DBT, GOI
- Dr Jitendra Singh Announces DBT Collaboration in Establishing A “National Cancer Institute” at Jhajjar, Haryana.
- Min of Tribal Affairs
- “Single Window System” for Obtaining Market Information on Minor Forest Produces Through Toll Free Number 1800 180 1551
Ministry of Environment and Forests18-October, 2009 18:53 IST
|Eighth meeting of SAARC Environment Ministers begins tomorrow in Delhi
NATURAL DISASTER RAPID RESPONSE MECHANISM & SOUTH ASIA ENVIRONMENT OUTLOOK TO BE CONSIDERED
| The eighth meeting of the SAARC Environment Ministers begins here tomorrow. It will consider the Report of the Expert Group Meeting and the draft Agreement on the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism. The meeting is also expected to launch the South Asia Environment Outlook (SAEO) 2009 and will consider the modalities for a Regional Environment Treaty.
The member states earlier provided an update on the preparation of National Plans of Action for implementation of Disaster management and Disaster Prevention. On this basis, a comprehensive framework on Disaster Management in South Asia : A Framework for Action 2006-2015 has been prepared.
A decision to formulate this framework was taken earlier at the senior officials meetings held at Dhaka on 23 may, 2006 prior to SAARC environment ministers conference there.. All the member states earlier requested to provide their comments and views to incorporate in the Concept paper.
The meeting is likely to consider various areas of cooperation in the light of current development in the context of the environment in this region. They include Afforestation, Environment Management and Planning, Air quality management and water quality, Sustainable Habitats and Waste management, Land Degradation including Desertification, management of Coastal Areas, River Cleaning programme, Sustainable Livelihoods, and Eco-friendly Technology Development and Transfer Institutions-Capacity Building and Strengthening.
Earlier the fourteenth SAARC Summit which met at New Delhi in April, 2007, reiterated deep concern at the continued degradation of environment and reaffirmed the need to further strengthen cooperation towards protection and conservation of the environment as a priority area. It also strongly appeal to collaborate in addressing the problem of arsenic contamination of ground water, desertification and melting of glaciers.
Two presentations will be made during the senior officials meeting preceding the meeting of the SAARC Environment ministers tomorrow. The first is on the progress related to the development of the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism by Director, SAARC Disaster Management Centre, New Delhi and the second presentation is on SAARC Meteorological Research Center, Dhaka on Severe Thunderstorms Observatories and Regional modeling Programme (STORM).
(Release ID :53249)