English Release 31-January 2015
- President's Secretariat
- President of India Congratulates DRDO on the Successful Test-Firing of Agni-V
- President’s Message on the Occasion of 38th Anniversary of Indian Coast Guard
- Prime Minister's Office
- PM reviews PaHaL Scheme for Direct Benefit Transfer for LPG Subsidy
- PM salutes our scientists, on the successful test-firing of Agni V missile
- PM gives best wishes to all athletes participating in the 35th National Games
- Min of Comm. & Information Technology
- Commemorative Postage Stamp on Swachh Bharat Released
- Min of Culture
Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Information & Broadcasting
- Siri Fort Auditorium amongst the top 50 auditoriums for cinema viewing in India- Col Rajyavardhan Rathore
- Min of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
- ACC Appointments
- 18th National Conference on e-Governance concludes in Gandhinagar
- ACC Appointments
- Ministry of Tourism
- Dr Mahesh Sharma lays foundation stone of campus buildings of National Museum Institute and Indian Culinary Institute
- Min of Tribal Affairs
- Tribal Afairs Ministers Felicitates Tribal Guests and the Tableaux Artistes & Supporting Staff, who had Participated in this Year’s Republic Day Parade
- Min of Urban Development
- Speech made by the Hon’ble Union Minister for Urban Development at the Inauguration of 35th National Games in Kerala on 31st January, 2015
- States show the way forward on building smart cities
Ministry of Environment and Forests18-October, 2009 18:53 IST
|Eighth meeting of SAARC Environment Ministers begins tomorrow in Delhi
NATURAL DISASTER RAPID RESPONSE MECHANISM & SOUTH ASIA ENVIRONMENT OUTLOOK TO BE CONSIDERED
| The eighth meeting of the SAARC Environment Ministers begins here tomorrow. It will consider the Report of the Expert Group Meeting and the draft Agreement on the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism. The meeting is also expected to launch the South Asia Environment Outlook (SAEO) 2009 and will consider the modalities for a Regional Environment Treaty.
The member states earlier provided an update on the preparation of National Plans of Action for implementation of Disaster management and Disaster Prevention. On this basis, a comprehensive framework on Disaster Management in South Asia : A Framework for Action 2006-2015 has been prepared.
A decision to formulate this framework was taken earlier at the senior officials meetings held at Dhaka on 23 may, 2006 prior to SAARC environment ministers conference there.. All the member states earlier requested to provide their comments and views to incorporate in the Concept paper.
The meeting is likely to consider various areas of cooperation in the light of current development in the context of the environment in this region. They include Afforestation, Environment Management and Planning, Air quality management and water quality, Sustainable Habitats and Waste management, Land Degradation including Desertification, management of Coastal Areas, River Cleaning programme, Sustainable Livelihoods, and Eco-friendly Technology Development and Transfer Institutions-Capacity Building and Strengthening.
Earlier the fourteenth SAARC Summit which met at New Delhi in April, 2007, reiterated deep concern at the continued degradation of environment and reaffirmed the need to further strengthen cooperation towards protection and conservation of the environment as a priority area. It also strongly appeal to collaborate in addressing the problem of arsenic contamination of ground water, desertification and melting of glaciers.
Two presentations will be made during the senior officials meeting preceding the meeting of the SAARC Environment ministers tomorrow. The first is on the progress related to the development of the SAARC Natural Disaster Rapid Response Mechanism by Director, SAARC Disaster Management Centre, New Delhi and the second presentation is on SAARC Meteorological Research Center, Dhaka on Severe Thunderstorms Observatories and Regional modeling Programme (STORM).
(Release ID :53249)