English Release 28-July 2014
- Vice President's Secretariat
- Vice President Greets Citizens On Id-Ul-Fitr
- Min of Petroleum & Natural Gas
- Global crude oil price of Indian Basket increased marginally to
US$ 106.01 per bbl on 25.07.2014
- Min of Women and Child Development
- Total of 3924 Children placed in In-Country adoption during 2013-14
Ministry of Home Affairs24-December, 2012 10:28 IST
|Committee of Eminent Jurists to Suggest Amendments to Criminal Law |
|Government has decided to constitute a committee of eminent jurists to look into possible amendments to the criminal law so as to provide for quicker trial and enhanced punishment for criminals, accused of committing sexual assault of extreme nature against women. |
Shri Justice (Retd) JS Verma, former Chief Justice of India will be the Chairman of the committee. Smt.Justice (Retd) Leila Seth, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh and Shri Gopal Subramaniam, former Solicitor General of India will be the other members. The committee shall submit its report within 30 days.
In the light of the recent incident, the Government has given anxious consideration to the need for reviewing the present laws so as to provide for speedier justice and enhanced punishment in cases of aggravated sexual assault.
(Release ID :91132)